Monday, August 16, 2010

Crayons

Last week we had a huge sale on crayons (school supplies) so I bought $2 worth. normally I buy the thicker crayons because Oliver doesn't have the coordination yet to not break them, but they were cheap and I thought maybe they'd work.

they WORK, but they are all over my house. I said I was done crafting for awhile, but now that I see these crayons just all over the place I decided to split them up and try to melt them by color family to make bigger crayons (and less!)

DSC_3205
the boys helped me sort... SO helpful.

because they are new crayons I soaked them in warm water for a few minutes to get the papers to come off (after struggling for a few minutes with one solitary wrapper) anytime the wrapper was resistant I tossed it back in the warm water. these are not Crayola, but a cheaper brand and they SUCKED getting the wrappers off. the few Crayola crayons we had sort of melted in the water, and the wrappers fell off after about a minute. i had to scrape the other brand off after soaking for 20 minutes.

DSC_3212

set the oven at 275* and checked it at 5 minutes. these crayons weren't melting and it took almost 15 minutes and it was BAM! so they may have gotten TOO melty.

DSC_3233

I don't know, I don't think they turned out too well, but they re still better than having those little crayons everywhere.

I put some in a larger muffin tin (and mixed the colors) but I'm afraid that they really are going to be brown. but I don't think Oliver will care. they look cool, and kind of came out of the tin easily. I put them in the freezer ana ll but two came out.

DSC_3231

DSC_3238
I like how they look like colorful Reese's miniature peanut butter cups. Landon was disappointed he couldn't eat them.

They will test them out tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment